Top Posts & Pages
- Suet, Part two: What it is, What it isn't, and What to Look For.
- Suet, Part Three: Preparing it.
- The Christmas Pie
- Yellow Flummery
- Preserved Walnuts
- How to hold your pancake...
- A Large Standing Crust
- Spices in the 18th Century English Kitchen
- Ship's Biscuit Recipes
- 18th century Sailor's food - Ships Provisions
Monthly Archives: March 2013
Just to give an idea of the variety or lack there of, in the 18th century sailor’s diet. Provisions listed for the British ship Bellona 74 guns in 1760 listed as provisions for 650 men for four months. Beef 5200 … Continue reading
This “cheesecake” is easy and tasty. As you can see from the above recipe from Eliza Smiths 1739 “The Compleat Housewife”, it is basically a 1/3 potato, 1/3 egg and 1/3 butter tart with some sugar and nutmeg added for … Continue reading