Top Posts & Pages
- Suet, Part two: What it is, What it isn't, and What to Look For.
- Suet, Part Three: Preparing it.
- 18th century Sailor's food - Ships Provisions
- Standing-Crust Pie Recipes
- Preserved Walnuts
- 18th and Early 19th Century Cookbooks: Searchable, and FREE.
- Did George Washington use Ketchup?
- A White Pot Recipe
- A Pork Pie with a Standing Crust
- A Puff Paste Recipe (with a secret confession)
Monthly Archives: March 2013
Just to give an idea of the variety or lack there of, in the 18th century sailor’s diet. Provisions listed for the British ship Bellona 74 guns in 1760 listed as provisions for 650 men for four months. Beef 5200 … Continue reading
This “cheesecake” is easy and tasty. As you can see from the above recipe from Eliza Smiths 1739 “The Compleat Housewife”, it is basically a 1/3 potato, 1/3 egg and 1/3 butter tart with some sugar and nutmeg added for … Continue reading